Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Manic March

It's that freaking March here ( ok, for you also) where people talk of hectic schedules and doing hefty work saying that it's the financial year end. I still find time to blog here because I am not saying I am busy. Got it? No you din't, so leave it. What have I got to bark in here. Lets see.

I finally could start one of my passions other than cricket, this year and that is tennis. I've been an ardent follower of tennis more so the past couple of years. It's good that I could find sometime in the weekend and have a practice session for couple of hours on Saturdays and Sundays. Things I realised while I got enrolled and had a hit out on clay court :
1. You need to be extremely fit to play the game.
2. It's not as easy as you see on TV. You would get exhausted quickly.
3. If you are beginner like me, try to toss the ball properly right over your head and hit a serve.
4. It needs huge practice to hit any forehand or backhand cross court winner with pinpoint accuracy.
5. If you think you are already good in table tennis and already thinking that you can learn tennis on the same lines, then you got to be searching for your mind. They both only have the word tennis in common and nothing more than that.
6. If you are fat and don't have agility you are better of watching the game on TV. Yes, you can still play the game not on the court but on your computer.

Having said that, if you are passionate about the game you can learn it in a month. It would test all your body joints. Any niggle in any part of your body will be tested. Now I wonder how these guys have been playing the game for more than a decade. My coach, who is in his early twenties and has been playing the game for 8 years, says, I am serving well and improved a bit over the first couple of sessions since he had seen me. Of course man, I have it in me. I am starting the game on clay. I am trying Novak's cross court shots which are currently not going past the net. A better idea would be to remove the net and play. But then, it wouldn't be called tennis without a net, would it?

And India pulls off an amazing CB series one day tournament win in Australia. Last time it was England. This is the last time this CB series is played and it will change it's format next year, perhaps with a new sponsor and may be with more or less teams. We all went down to watch the last 15 minutes of the match at our cafeteria. A big person in the management section in our office has come down and had a look at those who are watching the cricket in office hours. We might expect a mail that people are no longer allowed to watch matches during office hours. But hey, we had seen the match in our one hour break time that's given to us a day. It for sure itches the top guys. I have a solution. One cannot stop the forthcoming itch, but to get rid of the current one, one can surely scratch the itch.

1 comment:

мα√૯яเ¢κ said...

i would like to know who that guy from the top management was..??? :)