Monday, September 24, 2007

Revisiting GITAM

Gandhi Institute of Technology and Management, is my college where I had done my Bachelors and now a deemed university after 25 years of its establishment. Gitam is the acronym, and sort of hair stands stiff on the hand and sends goosebumps when you mention the very name, more so, to outsiders who've only heard of it as a good college, but never studied there. Not anywhere close to IIT, the standards or the research activities, but the serene surroundings enroute to college, the sheer pride that you are studying in Gitam and the bike ride on the beach road everyday, if I think of it now, is terrific. Now that it has become an university, it has to be seen whether the brand Gitam is kept high as before or if it comes to dilution once it really starts adding more departments and courses to the already existing number. I happened to visit Gitam after 5 years, when I had been there last week for a break and I have got the topic to talk now. I thought of writing this blog in two parts, but I am putting it all at one place. So you know that you got to your have cup of hot tea beside.

I took the bus from MVP, the bus stop where we try to jostle for a foots place on the foot board with books in one hand and grabbing whatever thing that comes to the other hand, to cling onto the already crowded bus coming from Siripuram. I actually intended to take the bus during the peak hours, around 8:30 am in the morning to get a feel of actually going to the college, but it was raining hard and I postponed my plans to afternoon. Bus route 900K was relatively free to get in, though the stinking fish smell was present all through the 18 minutes journey. I asked for a ticket and the bus conductor had a double take at my appearance, before he punched one. I had to smile to shoo him away from my presence. So I got the first hand reaction of the students or the staff whom I would be meeting in the college, but who cares man now.

I straight away went to Visweswaraya Bhavan to see and meet any of the staff that I know off. As I enter the building, I see to my left, the much famed Chemistry lab which used to be a nightmare to freshers and the lab attendant there recognised me, though not my name but my department and introduced me to Ramnatham sir. I wasn't expecting the lab attendant to recognise me, though I could identify him and he was the first known face to be seen. Sir kindly obliged and spent few minutes with me talking about the departments and recollecting the memories of 1998, when the lab first got shifted to the present location. Asked my whereabouts and is very much a soft spoken guy now and you can see the hidden glee on his face and in his words, by talking to an 5 years ex-student. As I was thinking to take leave, I saw Maths sir, Achary Sir, quickly springing on the steps. I move towards him and Oh man, and he is exuberant as ever. He enquired about my family, my job, my health - the same love and affection that he showed in the college days. I took a picture with him and he felt very happy for me. He went to his department and I can hear him talking about me all through the way with his colleagues. The massive dedication to his job, the unmatched commitment all mixed with a tinge of love towards his students is incredible. I felt great to meet him as I wanted to meet him first, before I proceed to our department.

Rapid construction work was going in between the engineering buildings. As I head to our building, Sir Arthur Cotton Bhavan, I could see my classmate who is working as a teacher there. Our department head, ASR Sir has recognised me, even my name. We spoke about the regular stuff. I then enquired for my classmate and he is an Assistant Professor there. He came out of the classroom to meet me and once he was done with his class I met him and his wife. The first married couple in our 98 - 02' batch, who are working as teaching staff in Gitam. I and this bloke went to the canteen and had a samosa and banana shake, reminiscing the past. I bid goodbye to these people and headed to the labs section. The most dreaded, manic machines lab was found closed and I took a picture of it. The circle and the leeway on which we used to write records and prepared for the laborations came to my mind. I strolled around the college taking pictures wherever I can. I could see guys playing basket ball in the indoor stadium. Cannot say much about their game coz I hardly played baskeball in my life, but I can say they are little qualified height wise to play the game. I'd probably consider myself a Michael Jordan if I nail one in 10 shots. When I felt I was getting old, I headed my way to the fascinating Rushikonda beach and the bus stop, skipping Mother Teresa Bhavan and the hostels. It was hazy and drizzling, which reminded me of the ragging days in my first year. Sea Inn restaurant, which used to serve delicious meal, was found in dilapidated condition and still it hasn't changed its thatched roof.

Huge flock of students were waiting at the bus stop. I was clicking pictures as if I may not visit the place for the next 100 years. It would definitely be more than 5 years before I get onto that route again. As I was heading to the bus stop, which never has a bus shelter, I let one bus go pass by. I wait for the next one and in comes route number 17B. Students were getting ready to get into the bus early to grab a seat and so did I. I thought I would do a little adventure to give one final shot at, getting into a running bus. I ready myself, with mobile, camera and wallet everything intact. I hold the side rod close to the steps, run a few paces with the same speed as of the bus and hop ! Boy, I still have it in my legs as I was the first one to get into it. Being the first one into a moving a bus and grabbing a seat not only for you, but for your friend as well was one of those forgotten little victories. During my college days, it was me and my good friend, were the first ones to get out of the class and take the first bus home, chit chatting about the daily stuff and girls all the way. But this time, I only had to take the bus back all alone with enriched memories.

8 comments:

harsh_rrocks said...

Refreshing!

Anonymous said...

Great one ra.. Brought back the sweet old memories..Thanks
--Chandu

Anonymous said...

Wonderful... a heart touching one indeed. Well...I'm now doing my engineering in GITAM, that too, electrical engineering... may be, one of my sirs is your friend...For the same reason, I too started a blog soon after joining in GItam.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful... a heart touching one indeed. Well...I'm now doing my engineering in GITAM, that too, electrical engineering... may be, one of my sirs is your friend...For the same reason, I too started a blog soon after joining in GItam.

---Satya
www.ragasofgitam.co.nr

Anonymous said...

this is wonderful... i haven't expected such a warm reply from you...Thank you very much for your comments...

Satya...
www.ragasofgitam.co.nr

Venkat S Murthy said...

Nice post man,
I bet it'd have been in a diff. tone, if u were writing this when u were in gitam!

Couldn't beleive tht ramanatham spoke!,
all we knew is tht he only shouts!

Me too frm GITAM ,
now in my final year

Rock said...

Thanks Murthy. Yes surely it would have been in a different tone. But I cherished the brand GITAM, then and even now.

As I said in my latest post, our Happy Days were always our past. Good luck with your graduation.

Praveen said...

Excellent one. Getting nostalgic. I could not complete the blog,as my eyes are full of tears and my heart is pumping heavily.

I have to come back again to complete it. Thanks for sharing.

-Praveen (95 Batch ECE)